Scroll below lookups for useful research and reference links.
Rules for Lookup Volunteers
- Volunteers may do unlimited lookups if and only if:
- The lookup volunteer is the actual author and copyright holder of the publication.
- The lookup volunteer is using primary source documents ... whether they are treking to the courthouse or using their own xeroxed copies of public domain documents.
- The lookup volunteer has written permission from the author / copyright holder to use their publication for lookups
Rules for Lookup Requests
- Mention the name of the book in your message.
- Our volunteers aren't mind-readers &
- they may not remember which books they volunteered for.
- Make your requests for lookup limited in scope.
- "Tell me everything about the Smiths" is probably too broad.
Biographical and Genealogical Record of Persons Buried at Old Chapel
(Volume II, Annals of Clarke County, Virginia)
Stuart E. Brown, Jr., Lorraine F. Myers and Eileen M. Chappel
1987, Virginia Book Company
A Separate Place - The Formation of Clarke County, Virginia
Warren R. Hofstra
1986, Clarke County Sesquicentennial Committee
|Cemeteries of Clarke County Virginia
Don & Mary Royston
2005, New Papyrus Publishing
|Grace Episcopal Church, the Duncan Memorial Methodist Church, the Berryville Baptist Church, Old Chapel have all been transcribed. Clarke Co. Historical Assoc. has copies of the transcriptions. As Archivist, I can do look ups in these cemetery lists.
Books Listed for Sale by Vendors
We do not warrant pricing information or availability
Heritage Books, Inc., 1540-E Pointer Ridge Place, Bowie MD 20716
The above mailing address is INCORRECT but it is the most recent address I have. The above address is now the home of the Goodloe Memorial Unitarian Universalist Congregation. Their website also appears to be down right now, although they are still in business. If someone could email me the current contact information so I can update this page, my email is EmbryProject@gmail.com
- Postage is $3.00, regardless of the number of books
- Check out their site at http://www.heritagebooks.com
- Shenandoah Valley Pioneers and Their Descendants, T. K. Cartmell.(1909) reprint, $60.00
- A detailed history of Old Frederick County which encompassed the present Clarke county
- The Virginia Genealogist - John Frederick Dorman, ed. Vol. 8, 1964, reprint, $20.00
- Highlights include: A Guide to Clarke, ... Counties;
Iberian Publishing Co, 548 Cedar Creek Dr., Athens, GA, 30605
- Postage on orders up to $10 = $2, $10-$25 = $3, $25-$50 = $4, over $50 = $5
- Clarke County Marriages, 1836-1850, John Vogt & T. William Kethley, Jr., 1983, $6.00
- Connections and Partings, mary Thomason Morris, $16.95
- Abstracts of Marriage, Divorce, Death and Legal Notices Regarding Clarke County, Virginia 1857-1864 from newspaper Accounts
- 1900 Census Marion Mcfillan
Willow Bend Books, 65 East Main Street,Westminster, MD 21157-5026. [1-800-876-6103]
See their website at: http://www.WillowBendBooks.com or email at: WillowBend@willowbend.net
"Clarke County, Virginia Will Book Abstracts, Books A-I (1836-1904) and 1A-3C (1841-1913)" by Patricia B. Duncan. Price is $38.00, item no.0504WB.
This 292 page book abstracts Clarke County Will Books A-I and Circuit Court Will Books 1A-3C. It is designed to give an overview of each document, summarizing information and listing pertinent individuals, including mention of slaves and distributees. Purchasers at the estate sales are also included to help identify relatives and neighbors of the
deceased. Entries for an individual of the same or very similar name are grouped together, while preserving relative order of all estate entries. Original spellings were used, while listing any given alternate spelling. Included is a general index to the Court books, which denotes the book:page where the will, appraisal/inventory, settlement account
(or other account), and sale can be found, as well as the page in this book where the abstract can be found. A full name index can be found at the back of the book.
Clarke County Links
http://www.clarkehistory.org/ - the Historical Society website. Wonderful searchable archives.