West Louisville

From the 1883 History Of Daviess Co., KY, page 563-4:

West Louisville

This enterprising little village was named by James A. Sivers, who built the first log cabin at this point, and kept the first whisky shop; also built and kept the first grocery in 1854. He continued this business several years, then sold to Henry Rhenart. The latter built a house, and rebuilt a frame story on top of Mr. Sivers' house.

The first dry-goods store was kept by Stowers & Bosley in 1865. They ran it two years and sold it to James W. Stowers, who took Robert Williams in as a partner. The first drug store was kept by N. M. Stowers about 1875. The first blacksmith shop was kept by John Clements as early as 1853, which was the second house built at this place. The first physician, Dr. V. Orsborn, located in 1865, and is still practicing here. Dr. T. W. Blanford came in 1876, and Dr. H. K. Orsborn in 1880. The first school-house was built in 1875 by a stock company, and was first used as a private school, but was afterward purchased by the district.

West Louisville contains about seventy-five inhabitants, one grocery, one drug store, one restaurant, two blacksmith shops, two hotels, one tobacco factory, one livery stable, one barber shop, one saddle and harness shop, one undertaker, three physicians, one magistrate, one constable, one cabinet maker, who is also a painter and paper hanger. The postoffice was established in 1862 and N. M. Stowers was the first Postmaster. The mail was then carried by the citizens. The regular mail route was established in 1875. J. E. Thompson is the present Postmaster. It is the second postoffice only to Owensboro in the county.

Although West Louisville is in Curdsville Precinct, it has a separate voting place, and is known as Curdsville, No. 2.

KYGenweb

 

Daviess County, Kentucky

 

usgenweb