Churches in Butler County
(there are many more than listed here-- please email me to add churches. )
A brief history of the beginning of these churches is listed. If you are interested in the total history of the church it can be found in the "Butler County Kentucky, History" compiled by the Butler County Historical Society.BARNETS LICK BAPTIST CHURCH - located in the Casey Community of Butler County. It was organized near it's present location in 1845. The History of it's activities from the time of it's organization until 1877 has been lost.
BETHEL BAPTIST CHURCH -- Bethel Baptist Church was organized on March 18, 1848. It was organized in a brick school house near where the present Bethel Cemetery is located.
BETHLEHEM CHURCH OF CHRIST -- The Bethlehem Church of Christ located in the Reedyville Community, was organized in the late 1800's. The exact date of its beginning is lost in history. However, the first building was a log structure, located on Kentucky Highway 185 (formerly Bowling Free and Cloverport road).
BIG MUDDY BAPTIST CHURCH -- Big Muddy Missionary Baptist Church was organized July 4, 1875. The first meeting place was a log two-story school building with steps on the outside leading to the second floor. This building was located on what is know now as the Mug Tines place, on Dunbar-Leetown Road, about one-half mile from the Morgantown-Rochester Road.
CANEY FORK PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH -- In 1807 Moses Reed gave two acres of land, lying on Big Muddy Creek, for the purpose of building a Presbyterian meeting house. In 1809 Caney Fork Presbyterian Church was organized.
CHURCH OF CHRIST AT FAIRVIEW -- This congregation has the distinction of being the first Church of Christ established in Butler County. The congregation was established in 1839, with Cader Embry, Sr. the first minister.
CHURCH OF THE NAZARENE -- The Church of the Nazarene in Butler county was organized in August of 1975 with services first being held in the Morgantown Mall.
CONCORD CHURCH -- To write the history of Concord Church is to write the history of a community, the Community of Quality (or Forgytown), in Butler County. It began on September 1, 1813.
COOL SPRINGS GENERAL BAPTIST CHURCH -- Cool Springs General Baptist Church was organized in 1882 by Ed Bird Weaver from Missouri and John M. Burden from South Carolina.
FLENER'S CHAPEL METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH -- In May, 1885 a group of Methodist bought one and one-half acres of land from P.H. Flener and wife, Victoria. It was located in North Butler County.
HOLY TRINITY CATHOLIC CHURCH -- Summer of 1942 witness an unusual event when two Catholic priests, Father Clement Borchers and Raphel Sourd visited Morgantown to meet the people and acquaint them with the teachings of the Catholic Church. In 1944, Father Francis Massarella began to work in Butler County and two acres of land bordering on Logansport Road were purchased in the name of the church.
MONTICELLO BAPTIST CHURCH -- Monticello Baptist Church was organized in 1805 as Midway Church .The next record found was in December of 1812.
MORGANTOWN CHURCH OF CHRIST -- A nucleus of people began meeting in the old Methodist Episcopal building on Morrison Street in 1937.
MORGANTOWN CUMBERLAND PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH -- The history of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church is in reality the history of a member of denominations and of many Christian people who were led by Bro. R. A. Read; an old pioneer preacher in the Green River Country.
MORGANTOWN FIRST BAPTIST CHURCH -- Morgantown Baptist Church was constituted in the year 1840 with 18 members. The church only existed a few years. Between 1848-1885, the Baptists worshiped in the Union Church and had charge of services on the second Sunday of each month. The first church was built in 1897.
MORGANTOWN UNITED METHODIST CHURCH -- The Methodist also were worshiping at the Union Church but on July 19, 1953, a special ground breaking ceremony was held on the corner of Robert and North Main Streets in Morgantown for their on church.
MOUNT OLIVE BAPTIST CHURCH -- Old Mount Olive Baptist Church was established July 19, 1867. It's location is eight miles from Rochester, on the Rochester- Russellville Road. It consisted of eighteen members --mostly from the Methodists.
NEW HARMONY BAPTIST CHURCH -- According to available records, New Harmony Baptist Church was organized in 1885. It is located in the Little Bend Community of Butler County.
NEW LIBERTY MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH -- The New Liberty Missionary Baptist Church of Gilstrap, Butler County was established on July 10, 1908 with 11 interested persons at the first called meeting.
NEW ZION METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH -- On November 20, 1894 on and one-half acres of land was purchased from Minerva and Phinnis Penner in order to building New Zion Church.
OLD AND NEW POINT PLEASANT CUMBERLAND PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH -- The first church built in the Little Bend section of Butler County was Old Point Pleasant Cumberland Presbyterian Church, built in 1854. It was located on the old Dixon Ferry Road on the farm of Shelby T. Read.
QUALITY MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH -- It was organized on November 25, 1922. Early services were held in the Odd Fellows lodge hall at Quality. It is now located on Hwy. 106 in the southern part of Butler County.
RICHLAND MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH -- organized in 1861 on land donated by Winfield Mason. It was a member of the Clear Fork Association of Baptist which later changed the name to Logan County Association.
ROCHESTER MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH -- in early summer of 1857 a group gathered in the old meeting house where Monticello Church was constituted twenty years before. In 1860 the church moved to the town of Rochester which was about three miles away.
ROCHESTER UNITED METHODIST CHURCH -- had it's beginning the the early 1800's as the Methodist Protestant Church, sometimes referred to as the M. P. building in Rochester history.
ROCK SPRINGS BAPTIST CHURCH -- They apparently met in the union Church a few miles from Quality (Forgytown) in Butler County. On July 7, 1834, the Baptist members met at the concord Meeting House for the purpose of organizing a Baptist Church.
SALEM BAPTIST CHURCH -- The Beaver Dam Church in Ohio County, KY granted part of it's congregation leave to constitute an independent body know as Salem in the "Big Bend" of Green River.
UNION BAPTIST CHURCH -- In 1850, Union Baptist Church was organized in Ruben McCoy's home with eighteen members from Sandy Creek, Monticello & Bethel Churches.