Book Title: Historical Collections Of Virginia By Henry Howe, 1845
Madison (p. 360)
[[Please keep in mind this was written in 1845]]
Madison was formed in 1792, from Culpeper. It is about 23 miles long, and 13
miles wide. It lies at the eastern foot of the Blue Ridge, from which extend
several mountains into the western part of the county, some of the smaller of
which are very fertile. The tobacco raised on the highlands is a superior
quality: between the mountains are fine valleys of rich bottom land. The county
is watered by the Rapid Ann [[ modern spelling: Rapidan]] and its branches. Pop.
in 1840, whites 3729, slaves 4308, free colored, 70; total 8107.
Madison, the county-seat, is 97 miles NNW of Richmond. It is situated int he
heart of the county, on a high and elevated ridge, and commands a beautiful and
picturesque view of the Blue Ridge and the neighboring mountains. It contains 4
mercantile stores, 1 Baptist and 1 Episcopal church, and about 50 dwellings. At
the post-offices of Rapid Ann Meeting-House and Leon are a few dwellings; the
first contains a Baptist and a Free Church.
The late Hon. Linn Banks, of this county, "for 20 successive years was speaker
of the House of Delegates, an office for which he was so peculiarly qualified,
that he was selected to fill it in all the mutations of party. He retired from
the legislature in 1838, and was elected to Congress in that year, to complete
the unexpired term of Mr. Patton, who was chosen counsellor. He was re-elected
in 1839, and again in 1841. He served in the extra session of 1841, and then
agreed with his competitor, to submit their cause to the people of his district.
He consequently resigned his seat, which was obtained by his opponent, the
majority against him being small. He was found drowned (Feb 24th, 1842) in a
stream which he had to gross in going from Madison Court-House to his residence,
a few months after he was thus consigned to private life."