To submit information, email EmbryProject@gmail.com
The History of Northumberland County from Henry Howe's 1845 Historical Collections of Virginia, submitted by Alice Warner
Northumberland was formed in 1648. Its length is 30, mean width 12 miles. It is
situated in the east part of the state, on Chesapeake Bay, and has the mouth of
the Potomac River on its northeast boundary. It is drained by several small
streams flowing into the Potomac and Wicomico Rivers, which empty into
Chesapeake Bay. Beside the ordinary products of this portion of the state, about
50,000 pounds of sugar are annually produced. Pop., whites 4034, slaves 3243,
free colored 647, total 7924.
Northumberland C. H., or Heathsville, is 98 miles NE of Richmond. It is a
handsome village, situated near the head of Coan River, a navigable stream
emptying into the Potomac. It contains a methodist church, several mercantile
and mechanical establishments, and about 60 dwellings.